admin 2 October, 2010
When I first started working in school gardens my initial focus was on getting kids to eat healthy. To that end I would plant as many varieties as possible knowing that young gardeners love anything they plant and nurture themselves.
As school gardens got more popular however, more and more teachers were asking how to incorporate school gardens into their everyday lesson plans. Learning to eat healthy was just one of many topics that needed to be covered. Peruse the websites below and you will find activities and lesson plans that also relate to art, science, math, and social studies. Also please note many are broken down by grade.
1) School Garden Lessons from GrannysGarden.org
2) School Garden Curricula Grades K-12 from National Environmental Education Foundation
3) 15 Lessons for 1, 2 and 3 graders (72 page pdf)
4) 15 Lessons for 4 and 5 graders (61 page pdf)
5) Curriculum ideas from California School Garden Network
6) Agriculture in the Classroom – Lesson Plans from USDA
7) School Garden Lesson Plans from Virginia Tech Horticulture Department
8) Nature’s Partner’s – Pollinator, Plants, and You (Comprehensive pollinator curriculum for grades 3-6)
9) School garden activities arranged by season
10) Lesson Plans and Curricula – Garden ABCs